Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Saturday, March 1, 2014

March 1, 2014. New Delhi, India

Before we left for the day, I had to watch while four of the hotel men counted our dirty clothes for the laundry.  It's almost enough to decide to forgo the wearing of underwear!

We started the day at the Gate of India.  


Then Jim and I had a marvellous several hours at the National Museum.  Five thousand years of history on display- and of course what remains from 5000 years ago is it's ceramics and stone carvings. I was enthralled. I felt a real kinship with this art and I also felt honoured to be an artist myself.  No one should ever come to New Delhi and miss this museum!

Afterwards Jim and I went to the museum of craft. Unfortunately, this was not on a par with the national museum but there was an incredible display of textiles.

This is a chariot for taking god statues on parade during festivals.

Although at this point my ankle was very tired, we still couldn't resist a stroll through India's largest zoo.
I continue to have mixed feeling about zoos but I did my best to get a few interesting photos.




An elephant's eye




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers