Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Thursday, February 21, 2019

February 20

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

This is a piece of our view in Kandy from the roof where we have breakfast.  Usually, the little sketches are done really quickly but I spent the entire morning on this one. It started out as the usual plan for a quarter sheet but I was enjoying it so much I just kept going on it. As some of you know, I haven’t been feeling well the past few days. I am back on prednisone and antibiotics for my lungs. Jim has been heading out exploring and I have been painting and resting
And oh yes, I am still enjoying the cold Lion beer.

The other absolutely wonderful thing is that we get several fly-bys a day. At six a.m. the giant bats head from the lake which is to our right up into the jungle on our left for the day. These bats are huge and thankfully herbivores.  An hour after the bats we get huge flocks of large white Ibis leaving the lake which is where they spend the night in trees. They travel the six kms twice a day, returning at five p.m. often accompanied by crows.  Last night was the full moon and so it was a public holiday, Poya, for Buddhists, a day of fasting, and praying. The first full moon of every month is Poya, nothing open and no beer.
( unless of course you are at the Majestic Guest House!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers