Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Wednesday, February 26, 2020

February 26, 2020

Herman the Seagull

My grandfather and I had a friend, Herman the Seagull. Everywhere we went Herman would be waiting for us.  I am the old lady now, my grandfather long gone, but Herman still waits for me in almost every season and every country.

Herman and his seagulls friends flap and swoop overhead.  Their raucous voices call back and forth. When they catch an updraft, they lock their wings and glide, riding the wind, at one with the sky.

He and his friends fish in shallow waters and rest atop roofs and chimneys.  They cock their big white heads and stare with unblinking eyes.

It is when I scatter chips, crumbs and crackers just like my grandfather taught me to do, that they congregate in front of me.  They edge closer and closer to me, their hooked yellow bills almost smiling as they grab my tasty treats.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers