Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Thursday, July 7, 2022

Painting on Denman Island July 6, 2022

 Yesterday, it was pouring rain, so I decided it was the day to do a closeup of foxgloves. I have no idea where this painting is going or if it will resolve. This maybe isn’t ideal for watercolours since going backwards and redoing something is not usually possible, however it keeps my interest high as I ammaking constantly making creative decisions. We were going to go to Chickadee Lake in the interior of Denman Island at four but it was still raining. At 5, it stropped raining and off we went. I had exactly one hour to paint. I followed my own good advice (that I often don’t take) and started with a vertical ink planning sketch of some big trees covered with mossy mounds of green. I realized that this wasn’t going to allow me to have any fun painting the lake and I did a second planning sketch (the horizontal). After that I was off. Sitting in Susie, this is what I captured in one hour. I know that I can finish it when I have time.

On the way back, Rosie stopped at a free shop to drop off some stuff. We should have one of these in Portaupique. Open twenty-four hours a day with no staff, you can drop off or take anything. We dropped off some stuff and left with an almost new stay and play, a couple of pink and green glass plates and I got two books to read on the way home, Ursula Hegi’s Stone from the River and Linden MacIntyre’s The Bishop’s Man!
Then we returned to Yolande and Rosie’s where they treated “us” (Robynne Murray a forever friend of Yolande’s and her partner, Jan, are with us from Colorado) to a wonderful supper of Yolande’s arugula rice balls and this gorgeous and delicious vegetarian sushi that is make on Denman. And Finlo was as sweet as ever, as we all took turns getting smiles.
Jim Wyatt, Serena Lewis and 82 others
12 Comments
3 Shares
Like
Comment
Share

1 comment:

Followers