Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Friday, January 9, 2009

January 9

I have discovered that it always good to stay more than one day in a place as after the initial panic of a new place, I settle in and start to enjoy myself.
This morning, after a good breakfast and a chat with the resident parrots, Jim and I set off walking to find the bus station. Jim boldly went though a gate to a government building. I was ready to bolt. He explaned to the suited chap at the table at the door that we were from Canada and we needed tourist information. This chap took us upstairs to the office of another chap who everntually took us to the office of a third chap. Our third chap spoke some English and had been to Canada with a Rotary exchange. He was very interested in giving us ideas of places to see in Paraguay. He called another chap who was responsible for tourism and translated for us. Now we have some ideas of towns to see and we will catch a bus to the first on tomorrow. Jim, who´s ever prepared and resourceful pulled out Canada and Nova Scotia pins for our new friends and they were pleasse.

On our hike back from the bus station, I even found a spot where it was safe enough to get the camera out and take a photo. We were in front of the armed Dept of Justice!! I got a couple of photos and then I hunkered down to do a little sketch. Across the street there were three men sitting in the shade with a big rack of two litre colourful matte thermoses. Unfortunately I haven´t had the opportunity to try matte yet. I think it´s a cold tea which is sipped with a straw that has a built in strainer. So far Jim and I have stuck with beer but eventually I´ll find some matte that I´m sure is made with clean water.

It is amazingly hot here. A few minutes ago we had a sudden wind and thunder and rain and still it is hot but the air may be a bit less heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers