Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Saturday, January 16, Accra, Ghana

Saturday, January 16, Accra, Ghana

Having had two days in Accra, I felt I was now comfortable enough to sit out and paint. Jim walked me back to the shop where I had done all the little portraits on day one. The first thing that caught my eye was a stack of large empty blue water bottles with red caps. I set to work on a sketch as they were loaded one by one onto a truck. For my next sketch, I noticed the colours and shine on the glass pop bottles and their metal caps.  I can feel the influence of the recent studio silver still life's; I am looking for the little details within instead of the bigger picture.i am loving the oh too familiar logos of Pepsi, Coke, Nestles, Fanta. Now that a entire day has been spent on a quarter sheet watercolour of these pop bottles, I am already anticipating doing  a large, super realism studio  oil painting when we get home.

A new game was invented while I was sitting on the street painting today. Three tiny children were wrestling very very close to me. I kept anticipating that one would land on my lap. Often they completely blocked my view. Then I would wave them aside and when they obliged I said "Thank-you".  Suddenly they were jumping into my view, waving  madly, jumping aside and then shouting "Thank-you" over and over and over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers