Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Wednesday, December 25, 2019

December 25 2019, a true Christmas Story


True story from Christmas 2019
Joy Snihur Wyatt Laking

Last evening I went up stairs to go to bed.
When I went into the bath room 
There was a bug on the yellow tile counter.
I don’t recall ever seeing a bug in the bath before.

This bug had long horns and  very long skinny front legs.
It’s shield shaped flat back was a mottled gray/brown.
It had big beetle-like back legs.

What to do?
I needed time to think.
I put a cup over the bug.

Do I just toss him in the toilet
To die a miserable death of drowning?
Do I squash him with tissue and pop him in the garbage
Never to be thought of again?
Do I put a paper over the cup
And go back down stairs and let him go outside?
It’s cold, it’s winter,
It’s Christmas Eve for goodness sake.
He might freeze to death.

I lift the cup off the bug
And he has crawled up inside.
I shake the cup and the bug rolls on his back.
All his little legs madly flail as he fights to roll over.

I nudge him back out of the cup onto the counter
Right side up.  

I think about the life of this bug.
What does he eat?
Does he have a family?
His life is not like mine
But he too is a visitor on earth.

I watch while my bug
Walks towards Jim’s shaving kit.
Then I turn off the light
And go to bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers