Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

January 22, Mumbai


Today, Jim and I took a Mumbai city tour in the am. I loved how they've being doing the wash for 140 years; over 1000 cement troughs and men just beat the clothing by flinging it onto the cement.


The drying lines were fantastic and not a clothes peg.

Even taking in the clothing appealed to my eye.


Next we went to the fishing area of Mumbai



Then to a white marble temple!


After a wonderful hour at the Gandhi museum, we took an hour boat ride from the Gate of Mumbai to Elephanta Island.


We met some monkeys.



And two groups of people really wanted their photo taken with me. Then the highlight of the day, one of the teens told her father "jeldy". When I was a kid, my Dad used to get me up every morning, by calling "jeldy Yoji". I didn't know that jeldy was a term he'd picked up in India in the war. I thought everyone's Dad said it. Yoji was my nickname--joy backwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers