Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

January19th on planes to India

2:30 p.m. We're through security and sitting In the Halifax departure lounge. I just hope I can relax and enjoy this whole trip. I've been feeling tense today(scared to death). What are we doing going to India on whim and a shoestring?  But, it's a chance of a lifetime!  And Jim is fantastic to travel with, always up for adventure and good natured. We will be fine if I can just let go of the anxiety.

This morning I walked down to our cabin just to soak up some  winter Nova Scotia beauty.  This was the first walk to the cabin  since I broke my ankle on November 8. The snow last night followed rain and left an icy white glaze on every twig.  Gorgeous. And the River is so swollen because of so any plus 0 days.

Since it opening, two days ago, My thinking has really been caught up In the exhibition, Capture 2014; Nova Scotia realism.  I have spent many volunteer hours on this adventure and it's amazing that it actually happened!

On the way to the gate, Jim pointed out a paper copy of the weekend Herald,  We got a full page on the front of the second section,  Elisa wrote a superb article.  She really got the importance of this exhibition.  Realism is many many things and all of them worthy of our interest and respect.  The two paintings featured, Jaye',s wave and Yani's classical still life were perfect.

Many hours later ( and I have no idea what day it is), we are on a  plane from Dubai to Muscat. This wasn't on our itinerary but we were very late landing in Zurich and missed connections.
First of all, I saw the excellent French film, Gilded Cage, English subtitles. I'd read about this film last year and I had wanted to see it. I recommend it highly. Then hours later, when my foot was really itchy and throbbing, I searched for another escape. The Steve Job's film was amazing. I am still thinking of this despicable, narcissistic fellow who was such an artist and visionary. I love pig headed artists who try to change the world. The film made me feel empowered and committed to keep on trying to make the world a better place. At the same time, I wonder if it possible to be a visionary and still have heart and compassion.

1 comment:

  1. You have such an artistic way with words, you'd think that you were an artist. ;) I love your movie critiques, too.
    You guys are there now and you have to let go of the anxiety, it sounds like you will have a fabulous adventure! Enjoy and soak up all there is to offer.
    Play safe and have fun.
    sending you love and hugs from the bitter cold of Ontario.
    Terri

    ReplyDelete

Followers