Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Friday, February 1, 2019

Day One in Sri Lanka

February 1, 2019

It was supposed to be an hour and a half walk to
The Sri Lanka Immigration Office.
It took us two and a half hours.
Rough sidewalks, traffic dodging, full sun,
No time to admire the cranes or cormorants.
I felt like fainting or throwing up
But I didn’t,.
It was my idea to walk.
Just when I think that I can’t go another step
I see a McDonalds across the street.
It took me seven weeks in India
Before I insisted that we go to McDonalds.
This is day one in Sri Lanka.

Finally we arrive at Immigration to extend our Visas.
The fourth floor is a white colossal space,
Fluorescent lighting,
Three and four person benches
In shiny silver.
Low white dividers shuffle people 
Through the ticket taking,
The photo taking,
Area B, area C,
The Shroff Counter, for receiving payment.
Hours pass.
I am recovered now from the hike here.
The rooms are filed with
Warm skinned, black haired applicants,
And the occasional light skinned German or English person.
I enjoy watching couples interact,
Babies,
The head shaved  Buddhist monks
With their bare shoulders and flowing orange robes. 
The back of a tall woman
With a blond ponytail
Who is wearing a long purple skirt
And carrying a purse and a huge backpack.
When she turns around,
She is a he.
An old gray haired worker,
In a too tight blue tee shirt,
And long black skirt,
Sweeps and scowls.
I catch her eye and manage to elicit a small smile.
Jim paces, his agitation radiating.
I scribble and sketch and try to find Buddha within.
After four and a half hours
We leave with our visa extensions!

We catch a tuk tuk
Back to the YWCA.
We giddily careen in traffic
Between busses, cars,  motorcycles,
And other tuk tuks.
We stop and pick up cold  beer,
Cashews, bread and cheese.

This is day one!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers