Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Friday, February 8, 2019

Feb 8 2019

This morning we had a lovely swim in the ocean and a walk on the beach. Then I 


sat in the shade and did this little painting of coconuts and all was right with the old.  This afternoon, The problems struck. We went for a walk on the beach and because we weren’t going swimming, I wore long trousers and took my camera in my pocket. The tide was running high and the ankles of my trousers got wet and heavy and then I tripped on a cuff and fell over in the water. I was carrying my sandals and they floated off. My camera did a nose dive in the salt water AND worst of all I couldn’t get back up.  Jim rescued my sandals and tried to get me upright but I was a dead weight with nothing solid to push on. Finally a young chap saw my predicament and ran over and picked me up. I was totally humiliated and mad at my own stupidity and the ruination of my camera, but we were both also grateful for the help of a stranger. So then we decided to drink beer until I felt happier. The first beach bar we stopped at was so expensive we left without ordering and went back to yesterday’s cheap place. Somehow, it wasn’t until we finished two huge Lion beers each that I noticed that my sandals were no where to be found. By then we had no idea which of the hundreds of tables we had initially stopped at. Jim went back to our room and got my sneakers and we again pursued all the beach bars looking for the one that I had left my sandals at. Suddenly eureka! Perhaps because enough of the beer had worn off or my emotional state was not so precarious, we located the missing shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers