Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Saturday, March 15, 2014

March 15, 2014, the Great Indian Desert




I really enjoyed our camel safari and the night in the desert. I was scared to death when my camel Babalou,  got to his feet or dropped to his knees, front knees first, but I told myself I would probably survive and I probably would never be on the back of a camel in the desert again so best to relax and enjoy it.





My camel driver's cell phone kept him busy and when he crushed some white powder and put it between his lower lip and his gums, I was a bit worried. After meeting the psycho monkey, I didn't want a psycho camel driver.

And you will recall from an earlier post that the only word I know in Hindi is Jeldie, meaning hurry up.  when I was a kid, my Dad used this word every morning to get me up.  Definitely when riding on a camel it would be good to know slow down, NOT hurry up!



This morning was sunny. Sometimes it doesn't rain for seven years!
I went out to sketch the camels and the sand and all of these beautiful women kept walking by on their way to fetch water. A huge job!

I did a sketch of them and I can just imagine a large loose watercolour of women with pots for the open house this oct.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers