Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Saturday, March 8, 2014

March 8, 2014. Jaipur, India

Another excellent day. We started with a tour of the city palace. It was over the top in every way. Ended up with me being cynical about the man/god who has everything and many women. If he marries them, they can never be seen again except for the head wife. If he keeps them as concubines, then they can still go out to their villages.  Jim said he's tired of viewing textiles. And I said I love them. Every time I see more, I notice and remember different things.  Jim loves seeing all the weapons and of course they just make me mad. Gandhi said that an evil deed is not justified by a good end.  Allot of what Gandhi said resonates with me.



When the maharaji went to England, he had two these 900 gallon containers made of silver to carry his drinking water!


As always I am intrigued by puppet shows. My parents made marionettes and gave puppet shows and and I always felt vaguely related to these little people who would sit on your lap and talk to you. Herkimer and I had matching overalls and so he was a special friend. My parents made an Indian snake charmer and a gorgeous slithering green snake for one of the acts. I never thought about it but the idea must have come from the photo my Dad took of a snake charmer in India.


Not a great photo, but it is the best one that I got yesterday, before the snake wrapped around the snake charmer and they both disappeared.

After the palace, Jim and I walked a bit of the old city, to find some beer and nan for lunch. Jim said I am like a nervous dear caught in head lights when I attempt to cross heavy nonstop traffic.
I just never get this experience in Portaupiqe.

Three hundred years ago, the same maharaji that built the palace also built a conservatory to calculate with the sun various times and zodiacs signs. The huge sun dials and various other devices reminded me of using a slide rule in high school. 




Late in the afternoon, we toured the Albert Hall museum.  The museum was made in 1881 and it doesn't appear that much has been done to it since.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers