Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

March 18, Jodhpur, India


Spent the morning at one more incredible marble temple




And one more incredible fort/palace




I guess this had better be my last fort, since I can no longer be bothered even to learn it's name.
I know this won't be my last temple as we have one to see tomorrow.  There was one painting done by a European in the palace and of course a huge number of Indian paintings. Unfortunately, although I have enjoyed learning about Indian art and architecture, I don't relate to the over the top embellishment and the stylization, and so I haven't felt inspired or moved by all the Indian Art.  I also find the male dominance and the extravagance of the maharajis appalling.  That being said, I do love seeing the real people of India and their lives and their traditions.


 

One chore that Ihave enjoyed watching is the making of dried dung paddies. 
First, women in beautiful saris with plastic bags on their hands, scoop  up the dung from the street while keeping an aluminum bowl balanced in their heads.




Then the dung is dumped into a wagon and mixed with straw.  it is made into paddies and these are airdried.  


Then the paddies are sold, used for cooking, bonfires, 



or stored in these great mounds until needed.
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers