Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Tuesday, March 7, 2023

March 7 2023



Yesterday, I woke up at six-thirty this morning and all of the roofs and trees were laden with snow.  I immediately did a little sketch of it out the kitchen window.  It was beautiful but I am certain that Jim didn’t think so when he got up. 





We also found the way to the craft show.  It reminded me of why I don’t like craft shows.  All these poor people just hoping that you will buy something. The only way I enjoyed the Portaupique market and the Great Village market was that I bought something from everyone.  At the craft market that wasn’t possible.  And there was very little that was actually a true arty craft.  There were some wooden stumps with melted glass bowls on them that were great.Of course, it was the huge ones with more than one bowl on them that I liked.  There were some metal ducks that I particularly liked but they were all the same in different sizes and I wondered if they had copied the duck from something since the other animals and ants were pretty basic. They were colourful and if I had been sure the maker was an artist I would have bought one for Danica.  There were three purse makers and all the purses were quite lovely and well-made.  Of course, the one I liked best was made of salmon leather and cost almost four-hundred euros, too much for me.  And then I have the entire issue that since I am a vegetarian do I want to have animal products in my attire.  I do love my red leather shoes and they have held up for years and so I am iffy on this.  I decided I can either find a recycled purse at Louis’s, our second-hand shop and then embellish or dye  it to suit me or I can use my little back pack that has no leather in it and came for free with Susie, my walker. Anyway, there was nothing as wonderful at Danica’s jewelry at the craft market except the stump with two large molten glass bowls and so I didn’t buy anything. 




We were a little low on basics, wine, bread, butter, milk and cheese and so off we walked to the grocery store.  The butter here is fabulous as it is required to have more fat in it.  It is softer and more delicious than our butter.   I did find out that I have to weigh the orange, the apple and the pear that I bought in the vegetable section not at the checkout!  Before we came back home we had wonderful coffee and sweets at the grocery store, bakery, and restaurant.  Everything looked and smelt fantastic and there were lots of people waiting for their turn to get coffee or baked goods.  I wish we had someplace that served such incredible bread back home.





Yesterday, we bit the bullet and found accommodation in Amsterdam in the Museum area for March 15 to 21.  We also booked our trains so hopefully, we will be able to pull this off.  We only have one change of train so we should be able to accomplish the trip.


Today I got up at six and spent an hour or two working on a larger painting of night out the window.  When I got tired of working on that one, I decided to try a tiny sketch of stuff that was on the table in front of me.  Of course, I got hooked and spent the rest of the morning painting this tiny one. This afternoon I finished up the Hunderwasser Train  Station, which I started outside a few days ago and the Flower Sellers.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers