Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Wednesday, March 8, 2023

 March 8, 2023


Lots of people think that watercolours allow no room for changing your mind.  Everything has to be done right the first time.  I used to think that, but gradually after playing around with oils and acrylics, I realize that it is possible to do watercolours without preplanning and to keep the creative challenges all the way through a painting.  Here’s an example, I worked on today:the bakery truck, at the market in uelzen, Germany.  In the first go round, I had a jumble of bread on the shelf in front of the sales person.  I decided that I needed to all a second baguette to sort of solidify the clutter.  I had left some white areas on the lower shelves to  try to get a feeling that they were covered in plastic. 




So I set to work with my tiny fitch scrubber and lots of clean water and scrubbed out another baguette on the upper shelf.  I also scrubbed the hard white splotches on the lower bread. 






Then we went to the market and bought a baguette and I decided on only one lower support because I felt the full one was too much in the centre and might really divide the image.

Here is the finished painting.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers