Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Monday, March 18, 2019

March 17, 2019

This morning we walked down to the market in Pesalai. This is a small town ( every morning at 5 am they broadcast Catholic chants for an hour)  on a little peninsula where there used to be a ferry to India that was stopped in 1995.
There are a chain of islands called Adam’s Bridge between here and India and two thousand years ago one of the Hindu Gods went over to India and brought back a Goddess for wife.  ( there are over 3000 gods and goddesses) 

I painted these two tiny painting from photos on my iPad after coming back from the market to our home stay. The woman was painted on Arches Cold press paper and the “Man with matching onions” was painted on a Fabriano hot press paper. It is really really interesting to be doing paintings isolated on white. It is reminiscent of my early flower paintings from fourty years ago,  After doing the woman on the rougher paper, (I was struggling to get crisp edges and to get the colour to hold because of the sizing on the paper) , I was delighted to work on the smooth immediate paper. Disadvantages to the smooth paper are that the colours sort of float on the surface and it’s hard to know how they will dry. Also it isn’t scrubbable or forgiving but I loved the quick clean result.

Then Jim and I off for a swim in the warm rolling ocean. A big bunch of small children were also swimming and of course they started waving and I waved back. They came right over and eventually got me to go with them so that their Moms could take pictures of us. The baby they put into my arms screamed in terror. The kids wanted me to give them chocolate and when I couldn’t oblige they wanted a song. We all rolled around in the shallow water again and a good time was had by all.


I am doing a little surrey here for the text of my book “The Painted Province; Nova Scotia through an artist’s eyes”. Did anyone enjoy the detail about the papers from paragraph two, or would you prefer that I give this a miss?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers