Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Monday, March 4, 2019

March 4 later in the day

March 4,  2019

Had an interesting day in Mullaitivu.  We went and had lunch at a women’s co-op that was built by Canada and the UN.  (Until today my favourite food on this trip had been Veggie burgers and Potatoes wedges at Franklins bar. Neither of these were Sri Lankan food, but the Sri Lankan food so far had all been really  spicy.) Each woman at the co-op sells something different, and you know me, I wanted  to buy something from everyone. This is a restaurant for locals and the foods were great and the prices were very cheap. I wish I knew what the foods were. We are back to eating with fingers, as in Ghana.

Then we went to our Tamil  bootlegger for cheap beer. I of course was the only woman. Men kept drifting over. They all wanted their photos taken with me. They called me auntie or mother, which seemed the extent of anyone’s English. Things seemed to be getting a bit out of hand, so it was a relief to finish our beer!


I had seen some Sri Lankan baskets before and did not like any of them. I am so spoiled by our beautiful Bolgatanga baskets.  Then I spied this Sri Lankan shopping basket at the co-op! Home to Canada it comes.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers