Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

February 19, 2014 Pondicherry, India



Yesterday we took a tour of Pondicherry by rickshaw (tuc tuc) we had a tour of another ashram. I liked the philosophy ( inclusion, peace, acceptance, healthy emotional, and physical lives) of this one but I am still very skeptical about worshipping one or two people as gods. We saw the temple, the ashram, and the paper making facilities


I am always interested in paper making. In this factory they used ground up cotton cloth as the fibre, in some cases adding, banana fibre, coconut, wool. 



The most interesting part of the tour was the paper marbling building. There was a row of cement tubs, each about 30" x 45 " so they could hold two pieces of paper. The tubs were filled with water. The paper marbler then dripped and splashed on various colours of oil paint on the surface of the water. Some times he swirled the colours together. The he put the two sheets of paper face down on top of the water and gently worked the backs of the paper to transfer the oil paint onto the papers surface. Then he flung the sheets over a bar and eventually they were hung on clothes lines in a drying room.



Of course I can hardly wait to get back to Canada and try this. I have made paper using sea weed and cotton but it's the marbling I want to do.  About fifty five years ago, I was at the CNE with my grandparents and my family. There was a booth there that for fifty cents you could essentially try marbling.  I was gob smacked. I wanted so much to try it, but my parents wouldn't spring the 50 cents. They would have had no idea how smitten I was. I spent the rest of the summer trying to figure out a way to turn our record player into a paper marbler, of course I didn't know that the process was based on the fact that oil and water repell and so I was doomed to failure.

As Jim and I sat drinking our afternoon beers, I got this series of photos.body language is everything!




And to conclude yesterday's adventure, here are a couple of my favourite photos.






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive