Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Word picture: the touts

Every shop has a tout.
Some wear beautiful saris
And are covered in piercings and jewelry.
Some have tiny children
Who also encourage
"Please Mam just look in my shop"
"Looking is free, Mam"
Some touts are handsome young men.
"The first sale of the day brings you good luck."
"You promised yesterday that you would come back."

Now that we have walked the same clifftop path
Along the ocean, we have our own collection of touts.
We have our old waiter with one bad eye.
This morning he told us:
" I saved your table for you last night.
And you didn't come.
Just sit down now and I bring you coffee for free."
Coffee is kingfisher beer in a teapot.
He leans forward and kisses our heads.

We have our carpet/ jewelry tout
Who every day cajoles me into his shop
To admire a small handmade carpet
That is beautiful.
"But I will have to carry it everywhere
And my pack is already much too heavy." 
I keep telling him.
" I give you an excellent price."
"This carpet is made by hand."
"You will have it your whole life, mam."
Every day the carpet becomes cheaper and cheaper.
Now I own  that carpet and I will have to carry it
For the rest of this trip.

Jim has the drum maker.
Jim expressed interest in an Indian flag.
And the drum maker doesn't forget.
He wants to make that sale before we leave.
We will see who wins this one.

Thanks to Lakshmi who persuaded us
To come into her shop
Jim and I both have light cotton Indian clothing.
Lots of it.
She wouldn't tell us any prices
But kept saying how cheap it would be 
If we bought more things.
Her first price was so high.
We tried to leave.
Her second price was a little less.
"Tell me how much you pay?"
She kept encouraging.
When we tried to leave again,
Chairs were brought out for us.
We eventually left with the clothing.
Every time we walk by her
She tries her best to get us into her shop again.

In the evening, the restaurant touts smile and bow
And point to candle lit tables.
They pull out chairs.
They display the days catch,
A huge blue marlin, barracudas, enormous prawns,
All strewn with red magnolia flowers.
Some touts offer cheap drinks.
Anything to get you in for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive