Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

February 5 , 2014 Varkala, India






This morning Francis picked us up in Kollum and took us to his home.
We met his daughter Olive and his wife Jacquilin.


It was wonderful to see a real home and to have breakfast. This was definitely a highlight of my trip so far.

The we were off with Francis to see where he grew up.  Lots of boats and fishermen.


The boats here are sewn together with coconut rope, no nails.

I walked up to the top of a lighthouse.



And then we drove to Varkala and eventually we found the spot that Jim had booked on line. Unfortunately we first found a fantastic coconut village that I could imagind spending the rest of my trip at. Imagine when I found out that it wasn't our  coconut village but a cheap one! Of course our coconut village is not nearly the place that the other one was BUT it does have wifi and I can look and see the ocean, so all is good.
Francis took us to see the beach and to get beer before he left us. Suddenly we came across a snake charmer. I had grown up with a photo my Dad had taken in India during WWTwo of a snake charmer. This photo has now disappeared but now I have seen the real thing.


I have been admiring all the men in loungis. They continually seem to flip their skirts! One minute long, the next showing knees. Jim has joined the fraternity thanks to Francis.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive