Nova Scotia Artist, Joy Laking, posts ramblings while she's travelling and painting in South America.

Sunday, February 23, 2014

February 22, Puri, India

The Sari Shop

We leave the heat and traffic behind,
When the door man ushers us through
The big glass doors.
A greeter man
Comes over and looks at me expectantly.
"No saris" I say
"I am looking for a Kurta."
All six of the first floor sales men
Are standing at the ready,
Behind their counters
In front of shelves of 
Shimmering multicoloured saris
Stacked along with others of similar 
Colour and fabric.
Each sari is perfectly folded
In a clear plastic bag.

We leave the first floor visual feast behind.
Another man accompanies us up in the elevator
To the second floor.
It is identical to the first floor
But the shelves are stacked high
With colourful kurtas not saris.
The greeter on this floor eyes me over.
"We have no Kurta to fit the Ma'am.
Would you care to see fabric?"
Or maybe for your daughter?"
Sadly I agree.
"For my daughter"
We are seated at a counter and
Served small bottles of water.
The staff proceed to open packages of kurtas
And lay them in front of me.
Most are colours or patterns that I would never buy.
Finally I am shown one I like
And that I hope Danica might like.
Despite my choice having been made,
More and more kurtas are unwrapped.
Eventually, the sales push is over
And we are accompanied back down
In the elevator.

The kurta travels a separate route
But is there waiting for us at the first sales desk
Where we get the printed bill.
We pay the bill at the second sales desk.
We present the paid bill at the third sales desk.
And at the fourth checkout station,
We are given our purchase,
All meticulously folded and packaged.
The door man ushers us back into 
The heat and bedlam of the street.
The combination of smells and noise seem especially
Jarring after the quiet formality
Of the sari shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Blog Archive